what can i say? i'm an eccentric woman.

got more soul

than a sock

with a hole.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mr. Archer.


An artist. Musician. Performer. Singer. Songwriter. Master of his craft. The definition of soul music.

D’Angelo, thank you to the highest degree. Thank you. Thank you so very much. Thank you for being patient with yourself and your music and giving me countless, classic cuts that I will never get tired of.

If there is any artist that I hold to such a high standard, that I trust with every ounce of trust I’ve got in me, that I love, that I respect…it’s Michael D’Angelo Archer. His music has had a profound impact on the way I see things, the world, and the way I listen to sound. I don’t think I would be the person I am without having found his music in 2000. Voodoo will have a special place in my heart. Always.


Hearing “Untitled” for the first time was life-altering to say the least, haha. That was the first time I was exposed to such a bass-heavy, funky, soulful tune. My ears were just full of…of wonder and excitement. I was wide-eyed with interest. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him, for more than one reason. I knew…I just knew that he was someone that I wanted to musically explore. And I’ve done just that.

D’Angelo is music. Music is a part of him. It’s the way he reflects on life, the way he expresses his feelings and emotions. And I can feel it every time. With every guitar lick, every sung note, every drumbeat, every melody and soothing harmony, every sound…I feel it. Two classic albums: Brown Sugar and Voodoo. And add the many covers and rare tunes that he’s got. I still bump them all. STILL. Every single track. If that doesn’t scream “classic” to you in the midst of all these single-driven albums and 15 minute-famous-sans-the-talent artists I don’t know what does. With all the rush and the fast-paced happenings we call life, D is always able to just sit back, relax and jam. He’s one of the most patient artists I know. Despite the news Tip dropped yesterday, I’m still anxiously awaiting D’s return. I trust with all my heart that he will never try to please the fans and admirers before he himself is pleased with his work. And that’s a standard I think so many artists should have. Five years between two albums is basically unheard of now. Why? Because people believe that inspiration is something you pick of from 7/11 around the corner for $5.99 plus tax.

Today, the musical genius turns 35. And I couldn’t be happier. Happy Birthday D’Angelo. I love you.

No comments: